Sunday 2 October 2011

Pre production weekly reflection- week 3

During this week my objective was to continue with my list of pre-produtction tasks and do a little independent research by going to different places in London and finding streets with interesting and recognisable graffiti on it.


Firstly to begin with I have been going through the audience research and finding certain results to be different to how I expected them to be.


 For instance, one survey question was based around hair colour and which type of look the artist may have and most people answered with 'Brunette hair'. I expected the top rated answer to be 'Ginger hair', as I always imagined the representation of the artist to be similar to Ed Sheeran or somewhat like the Kings of Leon. Although the audience presume the artist is brunette, as a team we have decided that we will continue to keep to our idea of using Sam as the artist. 


 At the current moment I am half way through writing up the 'audience profile'/'Fact sheet' about the type of viewer who would be most visually appeased by the narrative and style Sam and I have been planning. The next deadline approaching for all the tasks is within three days, so finishing that particular post and completing the shot list with Sam will be hectic, but I am prepared for this and have planned out how to divide my time between those two tasks. 


I completed my beach combing earlier on and gained a lot of inspiration from the images and styles I found on the internet. After seeing a few pictures of different types of graffiti on google images  I decided to go out into central london to look for something similar to the pictures I had seen, and I found myself looking at ripped colourful paper stuck around a metal door with posters and graffiti meshed together, my thoughts being "Perhaps this would be a perfect location to film for the artist performance". 

I also went to tower bridge to go to a skate park completely covered in a spray painted work of art to get a feel for the location and see how we would film, how we would avoid traffics of people and skaters and how we could visually use the designs and writing to our advantage. Even though as a pair we have decided to film locally using graffiti, after doing a little searching, I have put forward the suggestion that our artist should be represented through a mise-en-scene based in Central London rather than just the streets. I think it would add another dimension and give variety to the video. 

Apart from location, we have tried looking for people who can play instruments and would be interested in being our final music video, but at the moment we have had no luck. It has proven quite difficult to find someone with the skill required and confidence needed to pull off the instrumental performance side of things. We are going to continue trying to find a group of people who may be able to help us. 

A person I have had in mind is 'Rajiv' (left) from our media department. He is a singer and knows how to play the guitar. It would be a smart idea to ask him whether if he would be willing or not as working with him may be beneficial and advantageous, this is because he works with in the department meaning he is easy to get a hold of and we can film straight after sixthform ends in the music room which is conveniently located directly below the media department with the help of a few music teachers. 

Of course myself and Sam will keep our options open and continue to search for other people who can play an instrument. We most definitely want to have a three part music video with an artist performance, 'instrumental band' performance and a narrative. We did consider a dance performance, however it would not have fitted the song and the idea was rejected after giving it a few days of thought. 

During the week we also made a final decision of using the Chadwell Heath Academy Drama Studio and the different lighting styles that come with it. We still need to arrange dates to book the drama studio to be able to film on schedule and not have any delays.


My focus for the next few days will be completing the audience profile and working on a shot list with Sam as well as continuing to look for performers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment