Thursday 24 November 2011

Production weekly reflection- week 10

The productivity during this week was split between Sam and I. I handled all the editing whilst working parallel, Sam took responsibility for the digipak and the magazine advert. I encountered few problems; although there were only a few, they had a major impact on the final outcome of the week. 




One of the first problems was facing the issue of editing with out all the complete footage. This caused a lot of disruption in the chronological order of how I initially wanted to edit. I had to leave numerous gaps editing only with what I had. However we did resolve this problem and film the very last 'final major shots' we needed yesterday (20th November 2011). Sam and I travelled a one hour journey to New Cross and filmed all the shots in front of the graffiti wall and metal door. Though we only had a few shots to film, doing this took us one an hour and a half as we had to capture Sam from every angle. 


I wanted to film Sam from different angles and heights because I planned to edit the lyric "how do you feel when your babies are naked and cold" to the word. Cutting to a different angle at every single word, to create a fast pace montage. Another issue I faced was finding a guitarist for the instrumental shots. I found it difficult to get a hold of Harry because of how little I saw him and there was hardly any communication. I took initiative and decided to resort back to 'plan b' in case we struggled with our guitarist. I asked help from Rajiv who introduced me to his personal guitarist, with whom we have booked a filming date on the 24th of November to film the third dimension of our music video. 




During this week on Friday we received class feedback on the progress of our music video. We gained mainly positive feedback, but because there was such little there in regards to content, it was difficult for people to explain and be specific with their suggestion and opinion. I plan to ask for their insight again later during this following week, once I start using the footage from New Cross, London. 


Positive: 

  • Good range of shots and accurate filming.
  • Good camera movement and framing.
  • Cutting to the beat has been carried out well.
  • The idea of Sam ducking down and then coming back up again is creative.
  • Use of location makes it visually appealing.
  • The costume change works well with the style of the video. 

Suggestions/Weaknesses:

  • The lip syncing needs to be timed better.
  • More shots are needed.
  • The pace of editing feels a little slow in comparison to the song.
  • The narrative isn't fully clear. Is the artist a part of the narrative or separate? 
  • More facial expressions from Sam.
  • Camera movement too fast, the pans need to be slower.
After receiving all the feedback, I have planned to film the guitar shots with no movement to give the viewer a 'visual break' from all the constant panning. The aims for next week is to edit accurately and make Sam's lip movement match the song, to film the very last shots with Rajiv's guitarist, to edit chronologically and lastly to start adding more shots to the beginning of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment